miércoles, 16 de octubre de 2013

Autumn in Slovakia

Hi there again :)

Remember just in the previous post I was talking about BLEM and making friends there? That's what happened when I was there two weeks ago, I ended up with a plan for Saturday evening. It's surprising how many foreigners there are in Bratislava and that many of them are Spanish speaking people -not only from Spain but also from South America, specifically from Mexico there are many, as Fabian, the one throwing out the party, is. The event was supossed to take place from 5pm till 5 am, but well, together with my other Spanish EVS friends we managed it from 8pm till 3am, which is not bad either. I had a mighty enjoyable time just meeting new people and chilling in a flat before going out (I realised how much I had missed that), and afterwards in Barrock with the life music and nice conversations, it was quite good! Next day I wasn't feeling so good though -mala som opicu (I was hangover). But if you're brave in the evening you also have to be brave enough in the morning -Slovak popular statement, haha.

The week continued with more relaxed plans, like going hunting for bargains to Textile House. It's crazy how fast they move from place to place! I went to the one in the bus station and after I walked to other big one that was located in the avenue that goes from there to the center. I said 'was located' because now it's gone. I was shocked they already turn the place into some offices and I took a look inside from the door to make sure.

In any case, walking to Eurovea from there I found an amazing place. There were some steps going down from the street and an open door, and I could see a lot of books so I felt curious and went to check. It was a huge place with two floors, all filled with piles of second-hand books. A very nice old man, friends with the manager, explained me in English that this was the storage place of the official bookshop, located somewhere close to Legionarska (I'll check the business card later and update this with the name and address). It's a pity that I didn't have any camera with me, it looked really particular. In between books and more books there were also some gas masks and helmets -awesome. I bought a Disney Slovak-English dictionary with drawings and also a book from one of the films of Indiana Jones -big font, many pictures, just for my level :).

Also, because of the autumn, it's tea house season again. I don't think their atmosphere its fitting summertime but rather colder an darker days, so you seat warm indoors in a cosy place, enjoy your endless tea and perhaps play some board games meanwhile -is not that I don't prefer the summer, but I had missed this too. I met last time with Dasa in this one, close to Michalska Brana. It's called Cajovna v podzemi, and had a great time with her, as usual. As we were feeling a little hungry, we later passed by Funki Panki -I felt so proud that finally it was me the one to discover her something. Then again, back to teahouses, yesterday I went to Zamocka and had some Japanesse green tea with Robert, one of my Slovak-Spanish tandem contacts. Oh, yes, I've restarted lessons with a private teacher just last Monday, so I'll eventually recover my tandem contacts also, yay (feeling motivated again about Slovak language).

What else? Oh, yes! I was in Zvolen for the weekend. Slatinka organization prepared an event for Saturday, something like 'a day in the park', and I helped them out. It was mainly for the kids, so there were activities like archery, kite workshop, fresbee throwing and so on. The funniest moment, the theater they prepared for them. It was sort of Little Red Riding Hood but with a message more orientated to healthy lifestyle and recycling -I didn't understand all because it was in Slovak, but still the actors were pretty good. Some pictures made by Timour.





In the evening we hang out with some friends, playing charades and drinking on Timour and Thiebaut's flat. Afterwards we went out to this bar -I still don't understand why the name is in Spanish-, La historia de la Roja. It has table football, dards and official size pool tables. Unfortunately all places inside were taken and the group was feeling a bit tired, so we just sat outside for a drink and they manage to take a night bus to the neighbor town.

Not to change, Sunday was a lazy Sunday with movies. It was so lazy I stayed the night and woke up Monday 6am to catch an early train to Bratislava for my Slovak lesson before coming to the office. This days in the office feels like the calm before the storm. I'm just making more clerk work because we are waiting for the enrolement of people in VEM (Volunteers' Evaluation Meeting). It's last weekend of October and it's mainly for Slovak volunteers that went abroad to a workcamp with INEX, for them to share their experiences. Nevertheless, everybody is welcome since we are also going to promote other INEX activities and so on. Besides other materials that needed to be designed, I created a brochure for its promotion -the topic, in case you didn't guess, is horror :3


If you are interested feel free to join us! Register in this link and follow the instructions in here.

That's pretty much all that's been going on, if you would ask. These coming days I'm looking forward to more tandem, BLEM, workshop for international job vacancies in Bratislava and so on. Therefore, hopefully many nice experiences I will continue writing about soon.

Take care, lovelys^^

Hugs,
Alicia

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario