jueves, 3 de octubre de 2013

After summer - Youthpass draft

Looking back at my productive summer, I've decided to make an attempt to write down what have I learnt -in order to afterwards fill my Youthpass in. Now, being honest, I'm not really fond of the structure of the Youthpass, that forces you to classified your learning in 8 different key competences (Communication in the mother tongueCommunication in foreign languagesMathematical competence and basic competences in science and technologyDigital competenceLearning to learnSocial and civic competenceSense of initiative and entrepreneurshipCultural awareness and expression) -you can take a closer look by clicking on them.

In any case, I'll specifically write now about the outcome of my camp-leader and exchange coordinator roles. See? It's quite different to talk about group management than to actualy manage them, and theory without practice it's not a complete cycle of learning. Ok, now few ideas I will retake in the future:

WORKCAMPS
- I've realised the great importance of previous preparation of these kind of projects. First contact with the local partner, the place you are going to stay, the facilities there, the food arrangements, getting to know the participants, provide proper information on how to get there and what to expect... The more prepared you are in advance, the less you'll have to worry once you arrive to the workcamp place.

- The communication is also quite significance. I learnt how to communicate with my co-leader (which relation should be stable and pleasent for a more efficient managing), with the local partner (for technical details of lodging, transportation, work...) and of course with the volunteers. There is a must to be clear and firm when you need to command them some tasks, but also you have to know how to be listening and reliable in case they would have to tell you anything they may need.

- The flow of communication can also be directly from local partner to volunteers. This will give the volunteers a wider perspective of the purpose of the work they'ld be doing, and perhaps it will also make them feel closer to the local community. As for the local partner, probably nobody else knows better the aim of the organization than him/her, but it's important to ask them in advance to prepare something and suggest them to be concrete and short -we want to motivate the volunteers, who may not have a very good level of English.

- I've learnt to prioritize and delegate tasks together with my colleague. There are many things to take care and you need to identify the urgent ones, divide tasks and check on the group from time to time. Therefore, you need to make sure you have all things covered, and if you have time join the group in the work.

- When working together with the group you need to behave like an example for them. If you don't just ask them to work but you start working yourself first they will probably follow you afterwards. This is easier to do the first days but later you have to ration your energy, so for example a good tip will be to inform the volunteers when you are going back to work and they can see you -it's more efficient than just working by yourself with nobody joining you.

- I've learnt to change attitude when needed. During working hours you should keep an eye on everyone but during the free time I was happy to just relax and enjoy games or talks with the group.

- I've taken in the fact about listening to feedback without being critical or storming out from the comments. I've also learnt to give it being objective, but I think I still have to work on it -because sometimes I'm afraid about the other's people reaction and stay in silence.


EXCHANGE
- To be flexible with the organization of the agenda, trying to make it pleasant for everybody -even when this sometimes means changing something planned within hours.

- To mediate and encourage everybody to share their opinion, restraining when needed to the great talkers to give voice to the shier ones.

- To understand the richness of the diversity of people's opinion, knowing that no option is better or worse than the other -but just different.

- To realize about how creative participants can be and also to be more aware of how I am also a creative person.

OVERALL
- To enjoy being in a group of people very diverse because of individual and cultural differences and don't stress because of the leading role assigned.  To find solutions calmly and efficiently in order to create a relaxed atmosphere -so everybody feels comfortable and willing to share.


Yap, I think that's mainly all -besides the anecdotes of learning Greek malakies, or an Italian tong twister, or a sentence in Ch'ti. I had a great time and I'm mighty glad that I was learning this much in the meantime. I want to thank everybody that helped me out in this process, which is basically any person I found on my way.

Last weekend we were having Potaborka, a event for INEX camp-leaders to have a little evaluation on their workcamps. Unfortunately, I got quite sick after the exchange and I stayed home for this event, but I'm seriously considering photoshoping my face somewhere in this very nice group of people. Oh, yes, also I have a nationwide certificate as a youth worker in international backgrounds, sweet :D


That's all for today, folks, see you in next post!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario