miércoles, 16 de octubre de 2013

Bratislava - Quick guide for leisure time

Hello hello dear kids :) How are you doing?

Well, autumn arrived sometime ago officialy but it's just now when is starting to feel more like it. I must admit that autumn around here looks pretty nice, with all that parade of colours from the trees and the softer light of a half-hidden sun -I like it. And after such busy time with group projects (ie, workcamps and exchange), I really appreciate having some routine back in the office.

Back in the office and back in Bratislava, I've been exploring a bit the city. I started writing this and I realised I sound like a free-time guide, so I'll just go on with that idea and recommend a couple of places I like, and some ways to get to know people if you are a foreigner who has just landed around here.

First of all, and after a compulsory resting time because of a rather insistent cold, I started taking care of my social life in Bratislava. It's strange for me because I'm very changeable and somedays I feel like meeting with a lot of people and others I just feel like taking a time on my own. But still, if you feel like meeting new people Bratislava is great for that. There are meetings 2 or 3 times a week like Couchsurfers (on Mondays) and BLEM (Bratislava Language Exchange Meetings, on Wednesdays). We also have Language Cafe here, taking place first Wednesday of every month in KC Dunaj. Anyway, the friends you make there will tell you about other plans for the rest of the week, haha. CS and BLEM changes every week their meeting location, but you can check in the events they launch on the Facebook groups -they're open.

Anyway, the week continued and I got more relaxed plans. In the second-hand franchise shops, 'Textile House' they were in the last phase of the autumn collection, which means that everything cost 1,75E. Yeah, everytime they release a new collection the prices are 'high' in the first week, with some discount in the second one, and then it goes in cycles when the prices are going from 3 to 1E. It's crazy and it's great, I like it a lot. Last week I bought two thick sweaters, two vests, one shirt, one keyholder and one vynil record for less than 10E everything, score!

Also, because of the autumn, it's tea house season again. I don't think their atmosphere its fitting summertime but rather colder an darker days, so you seat warm indoors in a cosy place, enjoy your endless tea and perhaps play some board games meanwhile. Many tea houses in Bratislava keep somehow the spirit of the oriental style, like sitting on the floor, no sugar with the tea and so on. I really fancy them. There is this one, close to Michalska Brana. It's called Cajovna v podzemi, and it's in the underground, hidden after some of the arches in Venturska ulica.


There are also some others I like a lot, like Bone Tree or Zamocka (close to the castle, very nice). I was actually yesterday in the last one, having some Japanesse green tea with Robert, one of my Slovak-Spanish tandem contacts.

Apart from the tea houses, there are also very nice cafes in Bratislava with very nice atmosphere. I'm specially fond of those who combined the hot beverages with books. My favourtie one is Next Apache, because of this great read sofa. All of the books are second hand and you can find plenty of English ones. Then again, there is Presporak which has mainly books in Slovak and it's more like bookcrossing. In any case, its decoration is perfect, and they have one of the tastiest hot chocolates I had here. I put two pictures of Presporak and one of NA, your choice.




Another cafe I would recommend is La Putika -which sounds rather funny in Spanish. Once again a franchise (2 or 3 around the center) with option of Belgian beers besides the hot beverages -also, just a nice not so expensive place to go in the center. The picture is from the one close to the Primacial palace.



When it comes to restaurants I don't know much because I'm normally eating at home. For the Slovak traditional taste you have Flagship and Slovak Pub -though the first one is nicer for being located in a former theater, I prefer Slovak Pub because of the value for money. Besides, Slovak Pub has a privileged 23rd position in the best 100 pubs according to Lonely Planet, in a worldwide rank -not bad, right? Pics!



A warning! If you're going to these places be sure you're hungry because Slovak specialties are not light material at all -halusky, pirozky, gulash, tasty but heavy stuff. Instead, there are many places to have something more like a snack, a large amount of pizza and kebab places that offers a generous quater of pizza for around 1,5E -my favourite is Tulipan Kebab in Obchodna ulica. Not a fan of fast food? What about pancakes? There is this small place close to the train station, Lacinka, which accoding to this Slovak article might be the best pancake place in Bratislava -tiny, Sovietic looking, plenty of  sutffing, Sovietic prices. Another pancake franchise is Funki Panki, which has 2 or 3 places in the center -alternative atmosphere and more elaborated stuffings, also worth it.




Then again, there is this restaurant in Hviezdoslavovo namestie, Verne. I think it's the only restaurant I know that is not specifically of Slovak restaurant. Portions are generous and prices are nice. Large variety of pasta and wine. Last thing: from time to time you can also find photo or painting exhibitions on its walls.


Yes, in 8 months here I had time to get to know the places to be, haha. In any case, I'm not so much of an expert when it comes to night life. Personally, I like Rock Ok the best, and then places like Nekapri, Batelier... Haven't been much there but I had a good time when I was. Yeah, I don't like so much commercial music so I'm always in the quest for something more alternative -don't expect kind of 'disco' or anything.

The point is, for going out in the night normally you need to check the program of the places you want to go. For this purpose Citylife and Kamdomesta websites are quite useful. Also, Slovaks start soon, so don't freak out when you see a concert or an event at 8 or 10 pm, that's normal. Because of that and the thing that many bars have great atmosphere but limited space, going out after than 11pm requires a plan in advance or some reservation -if that's possible for the place you want to go.

I think that's pretty much everything for the leisure time guide for Bratislava. I'll make a new post coming back to the diary style :)

Hope you enjoyed it!

1 comentario:

  1. Thank you! I'm going to Bratislava this week and guide is just what I needed - so excited to try some of these places. Thanks again!

    ResponderEliminar